|Aeronautica Imperialis||Batman Miniature Game||Blood Bowl||Bushido||Dust Tactics/Warfare|
|Flames of War||Flames of War (OLD)||Hordes||Infinity||Malifaux|
|Mantic Games||Marvel Universe Miniature Game||Middle-Earth||Necromunda||Runewars Miniatures Game|
|Spartan Games||Star Wars X-Wing||Tanks||The Hobbit||The Horus Heresy Adeptus Titanicus|
|The Lord of the Rings||Warcry||Warhammer 40,000||Warhammer 40,000 Apocalypse||Warhammer 40,000 Kill Team|
|Warhammer Age of Sigmar||Warhammer Fantasy||Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress||Warhammer Underworlds||Warmachine|
In Flames of War
Found as part of your Assault Gun Company as one of the three vehicle options (the others being the SU-76M or SU-122). It is a lightly armoured (F3, S2, T1), but well armed with the 76mm gun (Range: 32”/80cm, AT 9, FP 3+), and its Panzer III hull makes it a steady and reliable mover (fully-tracked).
One of the things the Red Army is famous for is its Assault Guns created to support their infantry and tank formation with close support direct fire. Surprisingly the first of these was based on the captured German Panzer III.
In February 1943 it was proposed that an earlier conversion of the Panzer III be rearmed with a 76mm gun (the SG-122 mounted a 122mm Howitzer). It was considered viable as Soviets captured 300 German tanks during the victory at Stalingrad. The Project was completed on March 6, 1943 at Factory #37 in Sverdlovsk. Mounting issues with the 76.2 mm ZiS-3 gun lead to the adoption of the S-1 76.2mm assault gun.
The S-1 was a weapon designed specially for self-propelled guns, based on the F-34 Tank Gun (as found in the T-34), it was modified to be easily mounted on the front armour plate of the SU-76i without the use of a pedestal.
Once finished it was sent to trails where it passed with flying and it was recommended for service. The factory started production and from May 1943, the SU-76i appeared on the front lines.
Construction was typically Soviet, simple but utilitarian. The fighting compartment was of welded armoured plates. The roof was made of a single armoured plate that was bolted to the top of the fighting compartment. The roof could be removed and often was by Soviet crews who found the open compartment less restricting (the open top was retained in the SU-76M).
After the slugfest that was Kursk a number of problems were identified, an additional armoured shield was fitted on the gun to protect the gun mounting from jamming from shell fragments and bullets. Fuel range also proved an issue and two external fuel tanks was added to improved operational time.
In November 1943 the last SU-76i left the factory gates. It had been replace by the solely Soviet built and designed SU-76M. Factory #37 manufactured 201 SU-76i in total.
The SU-76i’s saw action during Kursk, on the Central Front with the 13th army group. The Voronezh Front was also issued with some SU-76i. During the advance on Orel, the Central Front was reinforced with two Self-Propelled Artillery Regiments. One of these regiments had 16 SU-76i and one Panzer III.
The 5th Guards Army ‘s 1902nd Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment was armed with 15 SU-76i. The 1901st and 1903rd Self-Propelled Artillery Regiments, which fought in August and September during the Belgorod-Kharkov offensive operations, were also armed with SU-76i’s.